With DirSync & Azure AD Sync reaching end of Support on April 13, 2017, now is the time to take a look at Azure Active Directory Connect. If you want to create a common identity for your users across on-premises directories and Azure Active Directory, AD Connect is the best way to do this as it will integrate your users for Office 365, Azure, and SaaS applications.
Increase user productivity
By integrating your on-premises directories with Azure AD it will make your users more productive by providing a common identity for accessing both cloud and on-premises resources. This will allow your users and your organisation to take advantage of:
- Users can utilise a single identity to access on-premises applications and cloud services such as Office 365
- A single tool to provide an easy deployment experience for synchronisation and sign-in
- Provides the newest capabilities for your IT systems as AD Connect replaces older versions of identity integration tools such as DirSync and Azure AD Sync.
How does it work?
AD Connect consists of three primary components: the synchronisation services, the optional Active Directory Federation Services component and the monitoring component called Azure AD Connect Health.
- Synchronization services – This component is responsible for creating users, groups, and other objects. It is also responsible for making sure identity information for your on-premises users and groups is matching the cloud.
- AD FS – Federation is an optional part of AD Connect and can be used to configure a hybrid environment using an on-premises AD FS infrastructure. This can be used by an organisation to address complex deployments, such as domain join Single sign-on (SSO), enforcement of AD sign-in policy and smart card or 3rd party Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) MFA.
- Health Monitoring – AD Connect Health can provide robust monitoring and provides a central location in the Azure portal to view this activity.
Here at Identity Experts we have helped many different types and size of organisation implement AD Connect. To find out more about Azure AD Connect and how we can help you implement it, please contact us.